Professional Skin Care in Columbus, OH
Skin care should be a part of every patient’s cosmetic maintenance plan. Professional skin care—whether it is medical grade skin care products, laser treatments, Botox® and/or dermal fillers—is the perfect way to preserve a youthful look and protect any investment made in aesthetic plastic surgery procedures. Targeted non-surgical interventions are preventative, delaying the need for more invasive treatment.
What are the Benefits of Professional Skin Care?
Topical, consumer-grade skin care products are limited in their effectiveness. Because they’re completely absorbed by the surface of the skin, they can’t rejuvenate the dermis (the layer just below the epidermis). They are therefore incapable of replenishing collagen within the connective fibers that support the skin. This is problematic because collagen depletion, a natural side-effect of aging, weakens these fibers. The more fragile these fibers become, the more our skin droops and creases.
Consumer-grade products have other drawbacks, too. Many of them contain ingredients that irritate sensitive skin and clog pores, which worsens acne breakouts. They’re not rigorously tested for quality, so they may fail to produce any real benefits. This is particularly worrisome where sunscreen is concerned: Research has shown that approximately half of all consumer grade sunscreens don’t achieve their stated SPF value.
Medical grade skin care products, on the other hand, are extensively studied before they’re released. They contain advanced, nourishing ingredients (like hyaluronic acid, plant phenols, vitamins, and antioxidants) that support the production of collagen and elastin. Medical grade sunscreens are also strongly recommended by dermatologists. Not only do they meet their stated SPF value, they contain compounds that proactively heal UV damage. They also remain on the skin for up to 12 hours, being resistant to sweat, water, and friction. UV radiation is responsible for 80% of the superficial signs of aging, so investing in a medical grade sunscreen is one of the best ways to preserve youthful skin.
To make professional skin care even more effective, plastic surgeons and dermatologists use deep exfoliation. Deep exfoliation removes dead skin cells, excess oil, and debris, opening up the pores so that topical treatments can penetrate deep into the skin. Some deep exfoliation treatments actually resurface the skin, removing the uppermost layer of the epidermis. This both erases superficial imperfections and stimulates a rapid surge in collagen production (because collagen is required to produce new skin cells).
What Can Professional Skin Care Treat?
The other primary advantage of professional skin care is its ability to treat a wide range of stubborn skin conditions. Professional skin care products and procedures can be used to reduce or eliminate all of the following issues:
- Acne, including persistent cystic acne: Acne symptoms can be dramatically reduced through a combination of skin rejuvenation therapy (that is, the removal of damaged skin cells and pore-clogging debris) and topical treatments. Professional topical treatments containing salicylic acid (BHA) have been shown to resolve lesions and prevent breakouts.
- Fine lines and wrinkles: Fine lines and wrinkles can be treated using a combination of collagen-stimulating deep exfoliation, injectable compounds, and topical treatments.
- Sunspots, broken capillaries, and other types of discoloration: Areas of discoloration can often be removed without surgery, usually by gradually peeling or abrading away the damaged skills that cause these abnormalities.
- Areas of rough, flaky, or raised texture: As we age, the collagen in our skin becomes more uneven in its distribution. Collagen fibers may be sparse in some areas while being thickly knotted together in others, causing problems with skin texture. Professional skin care corrects these issues by removing thickened skin deposits and prompting the formation of new collagen in areas where it’s sparse.
- Scars: Scars are made up of thick bands of collagen. Like other blemishes, some minor scars can be gradually removed through peeling or abrasion.
- Combination skin: People with “combination” skin (skin that is dry in some places while being oily in others) also benefit substantially from professional skin care. Most over-the-counter topical products cannot effectively treat both dryness and oiliness simultaneously.
Personalized Skin Care in Columbus, OH
Everyone’s skin is different. Visiting a plastic surgeon can help you clarify what your skin type is, what’s causing any aesthetic issues you face, and whether or not you’re a good candidate for non-surgical anti-aging. Furthermore, if you later decide to utilize plastic surgery to create more dramatic results, you’ll be in capable, caring hands. If you’re ready to pursue healthier, more radiant skin, contact Dr. Zochowski to schedule a consultation in Columbus, Ohio. We look forward to meeting you and helping you achieve your goals.