Becoming a mother can be a significant and wonderful part of a woman’s journey. However, pregnancy and childbirth can also come with an expected and inevitable weight gain and other issues that may take a considerable toll on your body and self-image. Many women noticed that their hips, breasts, and abdominal region change considerably after giving birth to one or more kids—and these changes can be seemingly impossible to reach through diet and exercise alone.
While this can be difficult and concerning, a mommy makeover with a highly experienced board-certified plastic surgeon can help you gain your pre-baby body back. Board-certified plastic & reconstructive surgeon Dr. Christopher Zochowski is committed to helping his patients achieve their cosmetic goals through expert training, renowned surgical skill, and a compassionate approach.
What is a Mommy Makeover?
Mommy makeovers are an effective option for those who have had children and want to regain their pre-baby bodies. Typically, a mommy makeover is primarily a combination of rejuvenation procedures that focus on the breasts and abdomen.
For example, you could choose from a full abdominoplasty with liposuction and body contouring. Or, you may choose breast augmentation with a breast lift, liposuction, and tummy tuck. There are plenty of possibilities to tailor your mommy makeover, and Dr. Zochowski will help you come up with a plan that best suits your individual goals and concerns.
You can see some of Dr. Zochowski’s actual patients’ results by visiting our mommy makeover before and after photo gallery!
What are the Benefits of a Mommy Makeover?
The term mommy makeover can be rather broad; therefore, the procedure’s benefits are also broad. The primary benefits are a tighter, firmer, and more youthful-looking figure. However, patients that undergo a mommy makeover will also likely experience a drastic change in their self-confidence, body image, and desire to live a healthy, active lifestyle.
What Mommy Makeover Procedures Can I Choose From?
Dr. Zochowski offers a variety of surgical procedure that you can combine to create your mommy makeover, including:
- Breast augmentation: As one of the most popular cosmetic surgery options in the U.S., breast augmentations use breast implants to increase the size, fullness, and projection of the breasts. After having children and breastfeeding, a lot of women experience volume loss in their breasts. Breast augmentation can help restore volume after pregnancy, breastfeeding, or weight loss. This procedure can be done on its own or combined with a breast lift.
- Breast Lift: In addition to volume loss, many postpartum women experience deflated or sagging breasts after breastfeeding. Breast lift surgery is one of the most popular procedures for patients who want to improve the shape and position of their breasts without creating an increase in breast size.
- Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty): Many patients frequently confuse tummy tuck surgery with liposuction. However, the two procedures are very different. Abdominoplasty goes further than just fat removal; it can rebuild a damaged abdomen from the inside out, starting with your underlying musculature. A tummy tuck will not only help you achieve a toned, flat midsection, but it can also help alleviate back pain.
- Liposuction: Dr. Zochowski uses liposuction to remove sections of excess fat throughout the body, such as on the flanks, bra line, thighs, arms, etc. Liposuction is an excellent method of removing stubborn pockets of fat that cannot be reached through diet or exercise alone. Dr. Zochowski often recommends laser liposuction, a popular in-office procedure that deflates stubborn fat pockets through precisely targeted laser energy.
- Fat Grafting: Another method Dr. Zochowski might use to help restore volume in your breast or buttock during your mommy makeover is fat grafting. This involves removing fat from a secondary location such as your thighs, stomach, or back that is then injected into the areas you want to restore volume. Because it’s fat produced by your own body, the results feel and look very natural. Also, as the fat is being removed from another location, you can sculpt and tone your body simultaneously.
- CoolSculpting: Dr. Zochowski may also use another method to remove unwanted body fat with CoolSculpting for those patients who may not necessarily need or want surgery. CoolSculpting offers a significant fat reduction in the size of fat depositions by targeting them with intense cold, in a process called cryolipolysis. It’s a completely safe, natural process that works over a period of time. This procedure is extremely popular for targeting stubborn fat pockets in the flanks, bra fat, thighs, and arms.
Who Makes an Ideal Candidate for a Mommy Makeover in Columbus, OH?
Mommy makeover candidates must be in good health and be able to dedicate several weeks to their recovery. It’s encouraged that patients quit smoking; if you do smoke, you’ll have to quit smoking at least one month before your surgery because your cardiovascular system will need time to heal. Certain medications, like blood thinners, can increase a patient’s risk of complications. Dr. Zochowski will conduct a thorough consultation with you prior to your procedure to ensure that every measure to ensure your safety and satisfaction is met.
Ideally, mommy makeover patients should be finished having children and losing weight. There are generally no risks to future pregnancies if the situation does arise; however, pregnancy and additional weight loss can compromise the results of a mommy makeover. If you do become pregnant unexpectedly, there is always the option of having revision surgery to update your results.
What To Expect During Mommy Makeover Recovery
After your operation, you should prepare to take two to three weeks off work and plan to rest in bed during the beginning of your recovery. Prescription medication will be given to you to help alleviate any pain or discomfort so that you can rest comfortably. In the events of surgical drains often used after an abdominoplasty, walking, sitting, and bending can become challenging, but gentle walking is encouraged as soon as you are able to. You will be provided with binders for either your abdomen or chest that you will be expected to wear to provide additional support, as well as control swelling after surgery.
You should start to feel better and see a reduction in swelling and bruising after about three weeks. Your abdominal muscles may take up to two months to fully return to normal, so you’ll need to make living adjustments to accommodate the healing process. You will also need to abstain from vigorous physical activity or lifting during that time as well.
Exceptional follow-up care is critical when it comes to healing from any surgery. Dr. Zochowski prides himself on his incomparable patient care throughout their recovery journey. Dr. Zochowski and his staff of highly trained professionals will be available to you if any questions or concerns arise. Dr. Zochowski will schedule a follow-up appointment with you one week after surgery, two weeks after surgery, and one month after surgery. By monitoring your recovery closely, Dr. Zochowski can ensure no complications arise and that your results meet your expectations.
Schedule Your Mommy Makeover in Columbus, OH!
Mommy makeovers have become a popular procedure in the U.S. in the past few years because of their ability to transform the lives of women in so many positive ways. If you’re unhappy, uncomfortable, or in pain due to changes to your body after pregnancy and breastfeeding and you’re ready to take the final steps towards body rejuvenation, call Dr. Zochowski to book your Mommy makeover consultation. He’ll help you formulate a plan that checks all of your boxes, reach your goals, and maintain your safety and comfort. We look forward to hearing from you soon!